Monday, March 1, 2021

Updates: Kitk, "Yellis" of Carbondale Aces" identified

 I took some time off from my research to focus on other things, so when I came back to the blog I had a lot of posts and emails to attend to. One such post was related to the Carbondale Aces, who played in the ABL in the 1951-52 season. 


Thanks to fellow researcher Steve Holroyd, he surmised the the player listed as "Kitic" or "Kitik" was probably Simpson, Pennsylvania, native Nick Kitik who would play briefly in the Eastern League in the later 50's. After poking through some newspapers, I found that Kitik had played in late 50s on various clubs for Red Wallace, so it seemed natural that when Wallace became head coach of the Carbondale Aces, he bring along the young Kitik who played for him on many occasions. So thank you, Steve for the tip.

The tip was fortunate, too, because another of  Red Wallace's players on these lesser clubs was Mike Yelovich. There was a player I had listed for Carbondale who only appears in box scores as "Yello" and "Yellis." I am certain this player was indeed Kitik's friend Mike. There is a possibility that it could be MIke's younger brother Joe, who was also a prominent local athlete in the area, but Mike is a better fit given his age and basketball skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment