Friday, October 20, 2023

Bill Zubic Identified

The fact we did not have Bill Zubic properly identified always bothered me considering how prominent a scorer he was in the Eastern League, ABL and around Pennsylvania. BUt as I suspected years ago, it had to be an issue with his last name being shortened or anglicized. I figured his name may have been something along the lines of Zubyk, Zubak, Zubeck, etc. But I never thought much about "Zubic" being the last portion of a longer last name, and this would be the case. Following a fresh dive into Bill, I stumbled across a William Bezubic from Philadelphia, born in the same year I believed him to be born. Finding Bezubic;s World War 2 draft card, he was listed as 6'5 and 211 pounds which matched our player. To confirm I did some newspaper searches and found Bezubic listed in a story about a basketball game with the Chester Ukrainians (who I knew Zubic was already listed as a player) and his name appeared as "Zubic" in the box score. 

So after a few years, the great Bill Zubic has been properly identified and William Paul Bezubic.

No comments:

Post a Comment